Open Call for recent graduates in Mime, Dance & Performance
9 April 2021
This is an Open Call for recent graduates (max two years) working in the field of Mime, Dance and Performance. We provide an opportunity to show your work, which due to the current pandemic, may only have been seen by very few or perhaps never even left the studio. Six artists in total get to share glimpses of their work in a ‘performance carousel’ on June 5 and 6 (2021).
Each artist has 30 minutes to present their work to an audience. After every hour with two performances, the audience will leave through the back and a new audience will appear at the entrance (or diehard passepartout audiences will return). We will most likely still be working under COVID-19 regulations which means 30 people max can fit inside the theatre.
The Carousel format provides a safe and playful context for work that still feels fragile or doesn’t feel so finished yet. This frame is purposefull, as we understand that you need time, space and interaction with an audience to get there.
- Your work is physical and relates to the field of Mime, Dance or Performance.
- You recently graduated, max 2 years ago.
- You are able to present (a snipped off of) a performance of 30 minutes – this should be an already existing work since we don’t expect people to invest hours in creating.
- Your work has been publicly shown max three times before.
- You are able to undress the performance and work without a scenery, since all works are presented in the same space.
- You don’t have to cross borders to perform the piece (you are based in NL).
Good to know:
- The light plan is reduced to one basic lightplan for everyone (small adjustments may be possible per performance but we can’t promise).
- Props are negotiable. You should be able to carry them on your own and place them on stage in 5 minutes.
- Two people is the maximum number of performers on stage and/or contributors.
Veem House provides:
- A House technician.
- A rehearsal day for each artist in May (as we can imagine that the work needs to be recaptured, since it couldn’t tour or leave the studio earlier).
- A fee: The hours of investment (rehearsal and performance) are based on fair pay. We explicitly ask to not rehearse more than the time provided by Veem House. We want to create space to present, even if the work doesn’t feel finished yet.
- A reimbursement of travel expenses within the Netherlands.
How to apply
We are excited to create an Open Call and to hear from you! Please write to us with a description (max 500 words) with max 3 links (could be images or videos) by Tuesday the 20th of April. We would like to know about your education, how often this work has been presented publicly, the content of the work and we would like to be able to visualize the work. Please also indicate your preferred rehearsal date.
Please send your application to email@example.com latest April 20th stating ‘Open Call Carousel’. We will reply to applicants by Monday the 26th of April.
April 20 | Deadline Open Call
April 26 | Artists will hear if they are selected
May 3 – 8 | Rehearsal dates (one day per artist)
June 3 or 4 | Potential spacing/preparation/30 minute try-outs day
June 5 and 6 | Performance dates